There is a lot of debate surrounding trying to raise self esteem and whether it actually leads to truly high self-esteem. Some argue that it’s simply a way to feel good about ourselves and that it isn’t actually necessary for true self-esteem. Others argue that trying to raise self esteem is a necessary step in building a strong self-esteem because it helps us to see ourselves in a positive light. Ultimately, it’s up to each individual to decide whether or not trying to raise self esteem is worth their time and effort.
Watch the following video carefully; it sums it up well:
Does trying to raise self esteem actually lead to truly high self-esteem?
Raising self-esteem is a difficult and often elusive task. It is one that can be done in a number of ways, but often the most successful approach is one that is tailored to the individual. For some, trying to raise their self-esteem through things like compliments and affirmation may work well. Others may need more tangible rewards to feel good about themselves. Ultimately, the goal is to create a sense of self-worth that is based on what the individual believes is valuable, not what others think. If done correctly, this can lead to truly high self-esteem.
It does if you do it right and if your beliefs, emotions and thoughts are in alignment.
Because as long as you subconsciously believe (or have been socially conditioned to believe) you are not good enough and as long as you have a lot of shame around your identity, no amount of positive thinking, reassurance, validation or positive affirmations will improve your self-esteem.
Your baseline will always be low self-esteem because this is the subconscious belief that you have.
So to raise your self-…
This answer reserved by the author for Quora+ subscribers
‘s full answer archive
Access answer archives from thousands of participating creators
Support creators and browse Quora ad‑free
Start free trial
”Can you go from low to high self-esteem?”
Low self-esteem can affect nearly every aspect of life. It can impact your relationships, job and health. But you can boost your self-esteem by taking cues from mental health counseling. Consider these steps, based on cognitive behavioral therapy.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the journey from low self-esteem to high self-esteem can vary depending on the individual. However, some tips to help someone move from a low self-esteem state to a higher one include:
1. Recognize that self-esteem is a personal journey and is not static. As long as you are working on improving your personal self-image, your self-esteem will gradually rise.
2. Be patient with yourself. It can take a while for your self-esteem to improve, especially if you have had a history of low self-esteem. Don’t expect to see overnight results.
3. Make a commitment to yourself to work on your self-esteem. Set small goals and make a commitment to yourself to achieve them. This will help you stay focused on your goals and maintain momentum.
4. Be open to constructive feedback. When you are working on improving your self-esteem, it is important to be open to feedback from others. This will help you to develop a more accurate view of yourself and to make adjustments as needed.
5. Avoid comparing yourself to others. This can be harmful to your self-esteem because it can lead to feelings of inferiority.
6. Get involved in activities that make you feel good about yourself. This can include things like joining a club, volunteering, or taking part in enrichment activities.
7. Cultivate a positive attitude. It is important to have a positive outlook on life in order to maintain a high self-esteem. keep a positive attitude even when things are tough.
8. Be honest with yourself. If you find that you are struggling to maintain a positive attitude, it is important to be honest with yourself. This will help you to make adjustments in your life as needed.
9. Seek professional help. If you find that you are not able to improve your self-esteem on your own, it may be helpful to seek professional help. A therapist or counseling can help you to develop a personalized plan to improve your self-esteem.
Can you actually build self-esteem?
To boost your self-esteem, you need to identify the negative beliefs you have about yourself, then challenge them. You may tell yourself you’re “too stupid” to apply for a new job, for example, or that “nobody cares” about you. Start to note these negative thoughts and write them on a piece of paper or in a diary.
Building self-esteem is a two-fold process. First, you have to have a strong foundation in order to build on. This means having a positive mindset and having realistic expectations for yourself. Second, you have to actively work to maintain your self-esteem. This means setting and reaching goals, staying positive, and being mindful of your own progress.
Is low self-esteem permanent?
Research has found positive links between healthy self-esteem and many desirable outcomes, including happiness, humility, resilience and optimism. Studies show that low self-esteem is related to stress, depression and anxiety. Some psychologists believe that self-esteem stays where it is permanently.
Low self-esteem is a common problem that can persist over time. It can be difficult to overcome and can have a negative impact on a person’s life. However, there is hope. Low self-esteem can be improved with therapy and support. It is also possible to change one’s self-view and develop a more positive view of oneself.
How long does it take to improve self-esteem?
I’ve seen clients taking 3 months to make substantial changes in their life. Others take 6 months. It also depends on how many wounds there are to heal, so during the process you can realise that you need as well some support from other specialists.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the time it takes to improve self-esteem will vary depending on the individual’s current level of self-esteem and the specific methods that are used to improve it. However, generally speaking, it can take weeks or months for a person to see significant improvements in their self-esteem.
One of the most important factors that will influence the time it takes to improve self-esteem is the individual’s motivation. If a person is genuinely committed to improving their self-esteem, they are more likely to see results. Additionally, it is important to establish a goal for oneself and to make sure that the goals that are set are achievable. Once the goals are set, it is important to stay focused and to continue working towards them, even when the going gets tough.
The most important thing that a person can do to improve their self-esteem is to be open and honest with themselves. It is important to share any negative thoughts or feelings that a person has about themselves with someone that they trust, in order to get feedback and to begin to develop a positive outlook on life. Additionally, it is important to take positive steps each day to build self-esteem. This could include things like being positive and grateful for the good things in life, setting goals and working towards them, being active and participating in activities that make you happy, and seeking out support from family and friends.
What is the most realistic way to create high self-esteem?
Identify and Challenge Your Negative Beliefs. Identify the Positive About Yourself. Build Positive Relationships—and Avoid Negative Ones. Give Yourself a Break. Become More Assertive and Learn to Say No. Improve Your Physical Health. Take On Challenges.
There is no single answer to this question as everyone’s experience and definition of “high self-esteem” will be different. However, some tips on how to create high self-esteem might include:
1. Believe in yourself: One of the most important things you can do to build high self-esteem is to believe in yourself. If you have a strong sense of self-worth, you will be less likely to feel self-conscious or insecure. Be sure to give yourself credit for your successes, and don’t compare yourself to others.
2. Express your feelings: One of the best ways to build self-esteem is to express your feelings openly. If you’re feeling down about yourself, talk to a trusted friend or family member about it. Not only will this help you process your feelings, but it will also help you to feel more connected to others.
3. Take care of yourself: One of the best ways to feel good about yourself is to take care of yourself physically and emotionally. Eat healthy foods, get enough sleep, and exercise regularly. When you’re taking care of yourself, you’re also taking care of your mental and emotional health.
4. Cherish your relationships: One of the best ways to build self-esteem is to build positive relationships with others. Be sure to express your feelings and listen carefully to the opinions of others. When you have strong relationships with others, you’ll feel more connected and supported.
5. Give back: One of the best ways to build self-esteem is to give back to your community and society. Volunteer your time or donate money to organizations that matter to you. When you give back, you’ll feel good about yourself and you’ll also make a difference in the lives of others.